Green eggs and ham – take 1

Even though we don’t have any Irish heritage in our family (as far as I know), St. Patrick’s Day is kind of a big deal here in the US, so my daughter asked if we were going to do something to celebrate it. I actually find it quite fun – there’s a St. Patrick’s Day street race which I’ve been many times, there’s green everywhere, and there’s beer (sometimes green too). And since my kids still like Dr. Seuss’ books (including “Green Eggs and Ham”), I tried to mix those together as the dinner theme… And I’ll definitely need to improve my presentation skills for this one.

I imagined it would be quite easy to do that – while cooking the eggs, drop some food coloring on the yolk and that would be it. Well, not as easy. The drops started falling off the yolk into the whites, and trying to do “bring them back up” only caused one of the yolks to break… The ham steak wasn’t as hard, although the color wasn’t as uniform as I’d like. The kids actually liked it, though, so I’ll likely try it again next year, this time trying something different to make the picture as it is below (minus Sam-I-Am).
Ingredients (for 2 people):
  • 1 large ham steak
  • 2 eggs
  • green food coloring
  • 1/2 tbsp. butter
Prepare the eggs: in a large non-stick pan, melt the butter and add the eggs at least 1” apart (so they don’t mix). Cover with a lid and wait for about 30-60 seconds, until the yolk starts hardening. Carefully drop some green food coloring on the yolks, and, using a brush, very lightly bring the drops up as the gravity brings them toward the white. When they’re done enough, remove and reserve.
In the same pan, add the ham steak and drop some more food coloring on it, brushing it on its surface. Cook it for 3 minutes on one side, then turn it and add some more drops of the coloring.
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
  • did you like the food © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Web Hosting , Blogger Templates and WP Themes